Residents protesting the removal of the barriers.
By Basil Foo, Selangor Times, Jan 13-15, 2012 / Issue 57
PETALING JAYA: An illegal security barrier on Jalan SS20/17 was torn down by Petaling Jaya
City Council (MBPJ) enforcement officers despite protests from residents yesterday.
“The barrier is an inconvenience. Not everyone wants it. We are acting on complaints by some
residents,” said MBPJ public relations officer Zainun Zakaria. She said the road leading to the
hindered ambulances from passing through, especially during emergencies. Zainun, who was at the site, said a notice dated Dec 29 was handdelivered to the residents here to remove the permanent barrier. Damansara Specialist Hospital
“If the residents are concerned for their safety, they should follow proper procedures,” she said.
Regulations only allow boom gates which must be manned at all times and can only be closed from 12am to 6am.
Enforcement officers removed eight steel drums which were filled with water, welded to each other with metal rods, and chained to light poles.
“This is not fair. The majority of us want this barrier. Crime has gone down a lot since this was put up,” said resident Wong Yin Choo, who was present at the site.
A resident who only wanted to be known as Koh said the barrier was put up in 2009 as the neighbourhood was then terrorised by “vicious snatch thieves”. He said the neighbourhood had previously experienced up to three snatch thefts a week, with some victims being slashed before losing their valuables.
“The authorities are making the matter worse. The crime rate is bound to go up after these barriers are removed,” said resident Hoe Yan Lian.