On 5 August 2017, the RA SS20 Central organised a Health Talk on "Cardiac Wellness". About 60 RA members, residents and guests attended the talk by Dr. Lee Zhen-Yin, Clinical Specialist from the Cardiology Unit of University Malaya Medical Center. In his talk, Dr. Lee elaborated on the fine structure and functions of our heart, arteries, veins, and capillaries through which the blood flows. Among others, he also touched on the contributing factors and symptoms of a possible heart attack / stroke and the surgical procedures.
Participants of the talk were "educated" on the following:
1. Dietary recommendations to lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL - bad cholesterol)
2. Definitions and classifications of blood pressure levels
3. Healthy diet characteristics
Dr. Lee concluded his talk with the following recommendations and daily practices:
1. Stop eating before you are full (approximately 80%)
2. Have your dinner before 8 pm
3. Drink 8 glasses of water daily
4. Sleep 8 hours
5. Walk at least 8,000 steps a day.
A number of participants shared their personal cardiac experiences.